How long have you been in the biking scene? One month? A year? Regardless; if you’ve spent any measure of time around bikers you’ll have certainly come across some novel terms such as “fat tire e-bikes,” “full suspension systems,” and so on. Now you may have been able to intuitively decipher what a fat tire electric bike is, however, it’s more than probable you’ve been hearing this term without actually knowing what it means. This is especially true if you’re new to the biking scene. Do you have questions about what a fat tire electric bike is as well as why it’s often talked about by e-bike riders? If you do then you’re in the right place! Read on to find out all you need to know about fat tire electric bikes, learn more about their features and also discover some of the best fat tire electric bike options on the market!
What Is A Fat Tire Electric Bike?Just as their name implies, fat tire electric bikes are a type of electric bike that have very characteristic extra-large tires. In other words, fat tire electric bikes have tires that are much larger than what you’ll find in other e-bike types. A fat tire electric bike will have a tire that’s about four inches or more in width, for perspective’s sake, regular e-bike tires are only about 1.75 to 2.5 inches.
Why Would I Need A Fat Tire E-bike?Now you may be wondering, “What is the essence of e-bikes having such wide or fat tires when the tires of regular e-bikes appear to function just perfectly?” That’s a pretty good question! Most people believe that the characteristic wide tires of fat tire e-bikes are simply an aesthetic touch however this isn’t really correct. Make no mistake, the wide tires fat tire e-bikes have lend a certain magnificence and power to their build, however, these tires have a more practical application. The wide tires are designed to provide better traction and improve the overall stability of the electric bike. As a result, you’ll be able to ride fat-tire electric bikes on surfaces where regular e-bikes would have been rendered practically useless. For example, you’ll be able to ride your fat-tire electric bike on the beach sands without sinking or getting unbalanced. In addition to this, you’ll even be able to ride a fat-tire electric bike across snow or rough and uneven terrain with no problems whatsoever. In fact, you’ll find that most e-bikes used for mountain trail riding are actually fat-tire electric mountain bike options. Awesome right?
Features of a Fat Tire Electric BikeAlthough the wide tires fat-tire electric bikes have are certainly distinctive and impressive enough, fat-tire e-bikes have lots of other impressive features that sync up perfectly to guarantee that riders will be able to enjoy amazing riding experiences. Some of these features include the following:
- Electric Motor: Fat-tire electric bikes are equipped with a high-performance electric motor that supplies all the power you need and then some to go charging through and conquering different types of roads and trails, irrespective of the particular surface type.
- Amazing Suspension: Fat-tire electric bikes are designed specially to provide extremely comfortable riding experiences even during off-road riding. This is why these electric bikes are built with amazing suspension systems that contribute excellent riding balance and shock absorption. So you’ll be able to ride on whatever trail type you want and remain comfortable while riding, irrespective of how uneven the trail or road surface is.
- Adjustable Power Levels: Another common feature of fat-tire electric bikes is the fact that they have a pedal-assist feature that riders can engage to enjoy that extra bit of support while riding. The pedal assist feature pretty much guarantees that you’ll be able to keep going even when your legs are tired of pedalling. All you’ll have to do is simply engage the feature and then let the electric bike handle the rest. It’s worth mentioning that the pedal assist feature is very adjustable so you’ll be able to challenge yourself and set the precise amount of support you want to enjoy.
- Rechargeable Battery: In addition to having adjustable power levels and an electric motor that offers exceptional performance, fat-tire electric bikes also have rechargeable batteries that pretty much power all of the added electric features these bikes have. There are fat-tire electric bike 1000w rechargeable batteries that are more than capable of supplying the electric bike with massive amounts of raw power. There are also fat tire electric bike 750-watt batteries as well as fat tire electric bike 1500w batteries, so you’ll be able to ride and explore for as long as you want without any issues. It’s also worth mentioning that some fat-tire electric bikes have removable batteries so you’ll always be able to remove the battery once you’re home and safely keep it indoors.
- Weathering-proof Build: One other reason why you should consider getting a fat-tire electric bike, especially if you’re looking for a bike for exploring the great outdoors, is that these bikes are quite literally built for the trail. Fat-tire electric bikes have durable frames that make them strong enough to withstand all the rigours and “stress” of off-road riding; so you’ll be able to use them for long periods without any damage. In addition to this, fat-tire e-bikes are also designed to be weather-resistant with several water-resistant parts so you can be sure the bike will be well-protected from unfavourable elements all year round.
Types Of Fat-tire Electric BikesAlthough fat-tire electric bikes are an e-bike type, it is worth mentioning that there are also several types of fat-tire e-bikes. Some types of fat-tire electric bikes include:
- Mountain Fat-tire E-bike
- Snow E-bike
- Cargo E-bike
- Folding Fat Tire Electric Bike
- Step-thru Fat Tire Electric Bike
- Mid-drive Fat Tire Electric Bike
Advantages Of Fat Tire E-bikesThere are so many benefits you’ll get to enjoy when you have a fat-tire electric bike. Some of these benefits include the following:
- Wide Application: One (and probably the most important) thing you’ll get to enjoy when you have a fat-tire electric bike is wide application. As earlier mentioned, these electric bikes have a unique wide-tire design that fully equips and makes them perfect for use on different surface types. What this means is that thanks to these wide tires, you’ll be able to ride fat-tire electric bikes easily on different surface types such as on beach sand, on snow, on mountain trails and even on muddy surfaces! Amazing right?
- Better Traction: Now you may be wondering, “Riding bikes on muddy surfaces should be impossible or at least very difficult, after all, these surfaces tend to be very slippery. So how will I be able to ride a fat-tire e-bike on these kinds of surfaces?” That’s a good question, and your conclusion would be true if you were talking about just any type of e-bike, however, with fat-tire electric bikes, it’s a whole different ball game! Fat-tire e-bikes have wide tires with wide surface areas and deeper grooves that help to significantly increase the amount of grip and traction you’ll have while riding. As such, you’ll be able to ride these e-bikes on slippery surfaces without worrying about slipping and falling due to a lack of enough road grip by the e-bike’s tires.
- Comfortable Riding Experiences: Another reason why you should seriously consider getting a fat-tire electric bike for yourself is that you’ll be able to enjoy amazingly comfortable riding experiences. That’s right and this is all due to the fact that fat-tire electric bikes have amazing suspension systems. These high-quality suspension systems significantly lessen the “shock” or jarring vibrations you may feel while riding on rough or uneven road surfaces, thereby ensuring you’ll be able to remain perfectly comfortable at all times while riding. In addition to this, the wide tires of fat-tire electric bikes also offer increased stability and balance, and this only serves to further improve the comfort and riding experience of users.
- Money-Saving: In addition to having an impressive suspension system that allows for comfortable riding and a unique build that makes it easy to ride the electric bike across different surfaces, another thing that makes fat-tire electric bikes such a magnificent purchase is the fact that they are cost-effective. Fat-tire electric bikes are highly cost-effective, more so than traditional vehicles, especially in terms of maintenance and since these e-bikes come equipped with powerful motors and batteries, you’ll also be able to move as often as you want without any issues.
- Unlimited Fun: One other reason why you should consider getting a fat-tire electric bike for yourself is that these e-mobility solutions offer access to unlimited fun experiences. That’s right, with a fat-tire electric bike, you’ll be able to explore and ride for as long as you want without any problems whatsoever. In addition to this, there are also fat-tire electric bike models that are the perfect choice for people with limited mobility. So you can be sure your mobility will certainly not pose a hindrance to your ability to explore and enjoy all that nature has to offer.
- Eco-friendly design
- improved accessibility
- Better maneuverability and parking convenience.
Disadvantages Of Fat Tire E-bikesAlthough fat-tire electric bikes have lots of very impressive features that more than make them a worthy buy, it has to be said that it’s not all positive where these e-bike types are concerned; that is, they do have some disadvantages or drawbacks. Some of these drawbacks include the following:
- Restricted Range: One of the major drawbacks of fat-tire electric bikes, and even all types of electric bikes in general is that their use is majorly dependent on their battery power. What this simply means is that the amount of use you’ll get from a fat-tire electric bike depends on its battery and once the battery is drained of power, you’ll likely not be able to use the e-bike as you’d have liked again till you recharge it. Of course, it goes without saying that because of this battery restriction, fat-tire electric bikes may not be suitable for long-distance travel.
- Maintenance: Another limitation of fat-tire electric bikes is that they usually require regular maintenance to keep them functioning properly and optimally. This means you’ll often need to make time out to take care of the bike and this could be quite challenging if you’re usually busy and have limited available time.
- Regulations: You should also be aware of the fact that although fat-tire e-bikes aren’t conventional vehicles, there are quite a number of regulations, such as helmet requirements and speed restrictions, that actually guide their use. These regulations often vary depending on the state or country so you’ll have to take time out to find out what the regulations are in your specific residential area.
- Prolonged Charging Time: As earlier mentioned, fat-tire electric bikes usually come with high-capacity batteries that help to ensure you’ll be able to keep on riding for long periods. However, you should also know that these batteries take time to charge, with some of them taking as long as five to six hours to charge fully.
- Aside from all these, it’s also worth mentioning that fat-tire electric bikes tend to be quite heavy and because of this, you may find it somewhat challenging to transport or store your fat-tire e-bike.
CostYou should know that the cost of a fat-tire electric bike varies widely depending on several factors such as the fat-tire e-bike’s particular specifications, as well as the number of feature inclusions. Cheap fat tire electric bike options tend to have fewer high-tech feature inclusions, hence their reduced cost. That said, a regular fat-tire electric bike will cost around $1,500 to $3,500, but more expensive models can cost up to $5000 or even more! Regardless of the cost, however, it has to be said that fat-tire electric bikes are always worth their price tags. Interested in getting a fat-tire e-bike for yourself? Read on to discover some of the best and cheapest fat-tire electric bikes on the market!
Top Canadian Brands/Companies that sell Electric Fat Tire Bikes in CanadaThere are lots of e-bike companies in Canada that offer exceptional fat-tire electric bikes so it’s practically impossible to discuss all of these companies. Ideally, this would mean that you’ll have to come through hundreds of different fat-tire electric bikes before you’ll be able to find one that’s perfect for you. However, we’ve done all the research for you so that you won’t have to. So without further ado, let’s get into a review of three of the best Canadian companies that sell the best fat-tire electric bikes on the market.
Pedego Electric BikesIf you’re familiar with the Canada e-bike riding scene then you’ll have certainly come across a Pedego electric bike before. This is unsurprising, after all, the Pedego brand is quite popular for its production of premium-quality electric bikes of different types and sizes, and as you’d expect, this impressive product line also includes fat-tire electric bikes. Want to explore the benefits of a Pedego fat-tire electric bike? Here’s an excellent recommendation for you!
The Pedego ElementStylish design, low step-over build, heavy-duty batteries and of course, impressive fat tires, there’s really nothing you want in a fat tire electric bike that you won’t be able to get with the Pedego Element. This fat-tire e-bike’s low step-over design helps to ensure users will find it a lot easier to mount and dismount, compared to most other fat-tire e-bikes on the market. In addition to this, it also has a high-efficiency battery that guarantees you’ll be able to cover long distances on a single charge. Want a fat-tire e-bike that offers the perfect balance between stylishness and functionality, then the Pedego Element is just the thing for you.
- 48V Battery
- 48V Brushless Geared Hub
- 749 W Nominal Power Rating
- Pedego Fanless 48V 2AMP Smart Charger
- Custom Pedego Twist and Go Throttle
- PEDALSENSE® Feature
- 5” Backlit LCD Screen
- Fat Tire Coil Sprung Suspension Fork
- Heavy Duty Spokes
- Integrated Headlights
- Custom Pedego Toolkit
- Fat Tires
- Impressive Range: The Pedego Element has a high-capacity 48V rechargeable battery that helps to ensure you’ll be able to travel long distances on a single charge! So with this fat-tire electric bike, you’ll be able to ride and explore as much as you want without worrying about running out of battery power.
- Assisted-riding: The Pedego Element fat-tire electric bike has a PEDALSENSE® feature that offers up to five different levels of pedal assist. So you’ll be able to keep on riding even when your legs get tired of pedalling. Awesome right?
- Better Monitoring: This fat-tire electric bike has a 3.5” backlit LCD screen that ensures riders will be able to properly and easily monitor the e-bike’s condition and settings such as power levels, pedal-assist levels and so on.
- Excellent Visibility: Another reason why you should consider getting the Pedego Element for yourself is the fact that it offers excellent visibility. This fat-tire electric bike has an integrated headlight that’s powerful enough to ensure you’ll be able to still ride it in low-visibility conditions.
- Exceptional Performance: One other reason why you should get the Pedego Element for yourself is that it also has a 48V Brushless Geared Hub that pretty much ensures you’ll have access to all the raw power you need to conquer difficult trails.
- Although the Pedego Element has a allow step-over frame build, people with limited mobility may still find it quite challenging to mount and dismount from the fat tire e-bike.
- No tail lights.
- No foldable frame
CostThe Pedego Element is currently valued at $2,995.00
BiktrixWhen it comes to offering the best quality of riding experience, there’s arguably no e-bike that does it better than Biktrix electric bikes. Biktrix electric bikes feature a perfect blend of stylish design and exceptional performance; a combination that more than makes them one of the best e-bike options there is on the market. In addition to these, Biktrix also has an extensive product line filled with different types of electric bikes so you’ll always be able to find one that’s a perfect fit for you.
The Juggernaut Classic 9One look at the Juggernaut Classic 9 will leave you without any doubt that this fat-tire electric bike is one of the best you’ll find on the market. True to its “Juggernaut” name, it has a majestic frame build guaranteed to leave you in awe. Beyond its more than impressive aesthetics, however, the Juggernaut Classic 9 also offers impressive performance so you’ll be able to conquer all sorts of trails and road types and look good doing it!
- Fat Tires
- 750W Mid-Drive Motor
- 120 Nm Of Torque
- 330lb Load Capacity
- +5’2ft Rider Height
- Cadence Sensor
- Smooth & Powerful Pedal Assist
- On-Demand Throttle and Control Pad
- Removable 48V Battery
- Integrated Headlight
- Rear Rack
- LCD Display
- 8 Speed Transmission
- Biktrix Dual Piston Hydraulic Brakes w/160mm Rotors
- Promax Adjustable 70mm Stem
- Great Road Grip: The Juggernaut Classic 9 has fat tires with adequately deep grooves that help to ensure improved road grip by the electric bike’s tires. So you’ll be able to ride comfortably and enjoy great balance.
- Excellent Monitoring: The Juggernaut Classic 9 has an integrated LCD display that allows for easy monitoring of the e-bike’s vital functioning such as pedal assist levels, battery levels and so much more.
- Improved Visibility: The Juggernaut Classic 9 has integrated headlights that are powerful enough to guarantee riders improved visibility even when they’re riding in low-visibility conditions e.g., at night. This makes the Juggernaut Classic 9 the perfect fat-tire e-bike for evening rides.
- Impressive Brakes: The Juggernaut Classic 9 has Biktrix Dual Piston Hydraulic Brakes w/160mm Rotors that help to ensure you’ll always be able to easily stop the e-bike even if you’re riding at high speeds.
- High-capacity Battery: One more thing that makes this Biktrix fat-tire e-bike perfect for you is that it has a high-capacity 48V battery that pretty much ensures you’ll be able to keep riding for as long as you want.
- The Juggernaut Classic 9 has a step-over frame design that might make it challenging for people with limited mobility to mount and dismount from it.
- No foldable frame
CostThe Juggernaut Classic 9 is currently valued at $2,299.00
Rad Power BikesAnother electric bike manufacturer that’s quite popular in Canada for the manufacture of premium-quality e-bikes is Rad Power Bikes. If you live in Canada, it will interest you to know that Rad Power Bikes is an e-bike company that’s native to Canada so you’ll certainly not have any issues with getting your hands on one of these e-bikes. Rad Power Bikes has an impressive product line filled with high-quality electric bikes that are the product of over 11 years of innovative development; so regardless of the trail or road type, you’ll find e-bikes that are a perfect fit here!
The RadRover 6 Plus Electric Fat Tire BikeThere is no better way to describe the RadRover 6 Plus than to say it’s a BEAST of a bike! This is because this fat-tire electric bike has a combination of premium-quality features that sync up perfectly to give it a. Excellent balance of exceptional performance and riding comfort. In addition to its impressive functionality, the RadRover 6 Plus also has a quite striking design that ensures its look more than matches up to its performance quality.
- Step-thru Frame Design
- 275 lb Capacity
- 750W Geared Motor Hub
- Fat Tires
- Durable Front-Suspension Fork
- Semi-integrated Battery Design
- Hydraulic-disc Brakes
- Accessibility: The RadRover 6 Plus has a step-thru frame design that ensures users will always be able to mount and dismount from the bike easily. This makes the RadRover 6 Plus the perfect fat-tire e-bike of choice for people with limited mobility.
- High Load-bearing Capacity: The RadRover 6 Plus has a wry durable build that lends excellent load-bearing capacity. This fat-tire e-bike is so strong that it can carry up to 275 lb of weight without any issues whatsoever.
- Impressive Range: This fat-tire electric bike has a high-capacity battery that packs more than enough power to ensure you’ll be able to travel long distances on a single charge. When fully charged, you’ll be able to travel for more than 45 miles without needing to stop to recharge or replace the battery.
- Power!: Another pretty distinctive feature of the RadRover 6 Plus is that it offers an astounding amount of climbing power, thanks to its 750W geared motor hub. With this fat-tire e-bike, you’ll be able to enjoy amazing riding experiences no matter how steep the trail is!
- Customizable Build: You’ll always be able to choose whether you want your RadRover 6 Plus electric bike to have a front basket or rear rail. This customizable feature comes in handy and makes it possible or you to optimize your e-bike for market runs when you’d rather not take your car.
- Non-foldable Frame
- Although this bike is modifiable, you’ll have to carry out the modifications yourself or hire a professional to do it for you.